Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Saturday

It's taken me awhile to recover from my AWESOME Saturday, so I couldn't write. First of all, remember I'm fully 8 1/2 months pregnant (and measuring a week early). Second, my husband was out of town for the day. Third, the forecast was 100 degrees.

The older girls had a dance performance outside on a hot stage, at noon. I got them up, dressed, curled hair, and red lipstick on. I called for Syd to get dressed and she was mysteriously quiet. So for Syd that means either she's wet her pants or she's stuck something up her nose. It was the second.


This is not the first time something (other than a finger) has been shoved up Syd's nose. She has put a piece of batting and a thick chenille string up her nose. (See the sewing tie-in?) I was able to get them out, however, a green foam butterfly sticker proved more of a challenge. A 45 minute unsuccessful challenge.

Well, we were barely on time for the dance performance. Luckily, the girls were 3rd and 7th in the lineup, so we dance and got out of there. Sher dancing second from left. Isn't she cute?

As she did for the trip to Arctic Circle (mom deserved a big hamburger!) and the grocery store afterwards. She even fell asleep in the car.

When we returned home, I carried in (remember, super pregnant) a hot, sweaty two year old. Then, dear Sloane, wanting to help, opened the back of the car to bring in groceries. Yeah, milk, a whole gallon.

I took the rest of the groceries in, put them away, backed the car out of the garage, and hosed the now hot, partially curdled milk out of my garage.

A little while later, we headed to Uncle Chris and Aunt Marilyn's for a little professional medical intervention (he's a family practice physician and she's a
pediatrician who gave birth a week ago). Jonathan joined us there while pulling into town. The doctors didn't have the correct nose-object pulling tools, but I brought along my handy serger tweezers (for threading the serger). Uncle Chris, using carefully honed nose-prying skills, was able to remove the green foam butterfly sticker.


Serger tweezers, penny (for size comparison), folded butterly sticker, nose flashlight.

What a day!

8 comments:

wendysue said...

I love how sympathetic Chris is!! (I'd do the same thing. . .)

And did you notify Sloane that she had just spilt half of her college fund?? Milk is as much as a gallon of gas now!!

Good luck on the baby front. . .I'm waiting and waiting too. . .

Carrie said...

So far we haven't had things up noses that we couldn't get out, but we have had plenty of gallons of milk, or cool aid, or fingernail polish spilled on surfaces that are not meant to absorb that particular product. Thankfully the last time we faced this kind of challenge I was not pregnant, especially 8 1/2 months pregnant. Next time just call and I'll run up that mountain as fast as I can and clean it up for you...but don't count on me for help with tweezers, you were right to leave that to the pros.

karlin said...

What a day is right! How long was that butterfly sticker in her nose?? Poor girl. I bought a huge bag of sugar at Costco yesterday and it broke open while I was driving home and it was EVERYWHERE!Plus I had just got my car cleaned, at least I'm not 9 months pregnant, right?

The Despain Gang said...

WOW! Really what a day! I'm glad you took pics because I would have never thought a kid could put a foam sticker up their nose. Now I know! :)
-Melissa

Kimmie said...

Do you know sticking things up your nose from the Burgon side? I remember a story Uncle Paul and my mom told.... playing with beans and on eof them stuck one up their nose but didn't mention it to any one until a few weeks later it sprouted... what the? You'll have to ask Uncle Paul about that one.

Atleast it was spilt milk and not your water! Love you cuz! Let us know when this big boy day comes, we are so excited for you!

Kimmie said...

I almost forgot..
Taylor did the same thing with his nose when he was about 4 yrs old.
He stuck a wadded piece of paper up his nose, for about 2 months we couldn't figure out what was wrong with him.. allergies, cold, horrible rotten stench coming from a little tiny boy, ect. After seeing two Doctor's and the second one being right he found the object... and yanked it out... not fun... I feel your pain!

Lisa said...

You think THAT'S a hard day? Labor hurts, Gina, remember? Oh, those contractions! OUCH!

Love you! :0)

(and I feel bad for Sydney. . .she's my baby!)

avalentine said...

You did more in one day than I have ever done in my life. Touche!