Tuesday, July 08, 2008

I was recently released as the Primary President in our ward after serving for two years. I had great ladies who served with me. While we are a church of lay clergy, (we don't get paid) I wanted to give something to these women to show them how much their dedication and support meant to me.

So, I sewed them purses to thank them for "carrying their load." I know, I'm such a cheese. Oh, it gets better.


Each have unique personalities and strengths. I captured this by embroidering an appropriate phrase inside each bag.
I can figure it out.

The ladies seemed to like them, and I was pleased with how well they turned out.

TECHNICAL INFO: I found the pattern online at Artsy-Crafty Babe . Click on Free Patterns for a PDF pattern. It is a great pattern and very easy to follow. (The blog and author is also what I aspire to do and be.) It makes a good size purse--very mom
friendly. I used cotton quilting fabric, home decor weight cotton fabric, and a looser weave home decor fabric for the bags and handles. I used plain muslin for the lining.

I used an iron-on midweight stabilizer for all parts. I fused the stabilizer before embroidering the sayings. I also embroidered the sayings and attached the ribbon before assembling the bags. The inside pockets are the same fabric as the outside fabric.


I added interest to the handles by sewing ribs with 1/4 inch spacing. I found decorative buttons for the simple closure, although I think a snap or magnetic closure could be adapted easily.

You should probably make some. Call me before I go into labor, and I'll help you!


5 comments:

The Despain Gang said...

So good of you to define everything! Love the bags; they're perfect thank you gifts, you're so talented. You look great in this picture being pregnant.
-Melissa

Jill said...

Gina...you look amazing. Honestly. I'm happy for your release, you have earned a breather.

If I bring you dinner pre-baby can I have one of those purses before your babe turns one?

Miss you...hopefully we'll see you this weekend at Draper Days.

Gina said...

I'm all about the sewing for food program!

I hope to have a baby this weekend, but if I don't, don't plan on me at the rodeo (unless they've changed the concrete step seats into memory foam and have air-conditioned the outdoor arena!)

karlin said...

Congrats!! You deserve a break. What thoughtful gifts... I love them!

Diaries of a Wonder Woman said...

Gina,

Look at you...what a preggo babe! Good luck on the upcoming delivery. Hope to see you back soon for bookclub with the new addition!!