Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Fix Your Shirt!

Now it may seem like I buy a lot of clothes that don't fit, but it's just that my body is so unique! Not really--I tried on the pants and they fit in the store. And this super great shirt was a gift from my mom.


My dad was in Guadalajara, Mexico for 7 weeks as director of study abroad, mom visited and brought gifts. I did ask for a embroidered dress (yes, like to old Mexican ladies wear) and she delivered! (I wore it on the front porch and the neighbors laughed.) But this shirt was a surprise. I cannot overstate how much I love this shirt, however, it was a little boxy so I gave it some shape. Here's how it is done:


1. I pleated the sleeves. I folded the sleeve in half, measured down an inch from the point, and folded it open. I stitched it down with a coordinating thread.



2. I gathered the back. I measured a piece of 1/4 inch wide elastic to fit across my back when stretched. I marked a few inches from the side of the shirt on the inside of the shirt, about bra strap height. I sewed in the elastic on one side, make sure to backstitch to tack it in. I then stretched the elastic across to the other mark while sewing. Voile! Gathered by the elastic. Be sure to backstitch so it doesn't snap back at you!



I should have taken the sides in even more and I may, but that would require unpicking all that stitching! So, maybe I'll just get fat-cause that's another way to make your clothes fit!

Talk about getting fat.... one of the BEST cookies I've ever had was a Snickerdoodle from Harmon's bakery.

I finished one part of my media center pillow adventure:

But I forgot to take pictures of the pillows-can anyone guess why? It has something to do with a 20 month old with a really good arm-ouch!

Here's the best photo I got:



See, cool pillows. I'll teach you how to make them, and how to stick the big white fluffy square inside!
I'll get photos of all of them-and share instructions for making pillows, eventually!
So, take away message this week: Buy clothes you like-fit doesn't matter because you can sew them or eat Snickerdoodles to make them fit!











4 comments:

Chantry said...

I can't believe how big your baby is.

Anonymous said...

Look Gina, I'm blogging. I'am simply astounded at the projects you tackle. What an inspiration!

wendysue said...

It was great to hang out with you and your darling girls for the 4th. I totally need the tutorial for the cute pillows. . .my couches are crying for some fun.

Unknown said...

Gina, This blog really rocks. And you know I am always looking for a sewing friend. Wanna get together and do some stitching?