Monday, June 11, 2007

Fix your pants!


Summer! It's soooo hard to sew when it's nice outside. And since it's so nice all I want to wear are capris! Really, it's been gorgeous. So I bought some awesome designer (Gloria Vanderbilt) pants at Kohl's--I know, I'm such an old lady-it gets better! I wore them with the fam at Zion's National Park. Here is me and Baby #3 in the backpack carrier and midway through the hike I noticed my pants were FALLING OFF!!! I couldn't wear my awesome orange cargo capris the rest of the trip. And when you're in the wild, you want to wear orange.


You ask, What did you do Sewing Friend?


(First, I have to mention a belt wouldn't fix the problem because the belt loops in the front were not the same size as the belt loops in the back and nothing would fit through.)
I added elastic to the back casing to "grip" my back waist.

Step 1: Unpick the inside seam of your pants about 3 inches. Work from the side seams in the back and when you sew again, you won't see extra stitches.

Step 2: Sew in a length of elastic (I used 3/4 inch wide) on the side seam.


Step 3: Feed the elastic in the casing (space between the open seams.) I used this neat red plastic thing that allows you to pull elastic or ribbon or whatever through a casing.

Step 4: Pull through and adjust to just the right "grippiness" by trying on the pants. Pin elastic and stitch on other side seam. Trim excess elastic.

Step 5: Sew over where you unpicked the inside seam to close the casing.

Step 6: The finished product.
Now back elastic is a bit old-lady, but while you're wearing it, the elastic stretches out and you can't tell
-and your pants don't fall down (and you get to see a totally unflattering picture taken by myself while wearing the pants!)


Try this at home and have great fitting pants! Good luck and buy some orange pants-they rock!

8 comments:

kacy faulconer said...

Sewing Friend, I admire your ingenuity but I never have the problem of my pants falling off. I'm simply too fat.

But seriously, I heard about you from Lisa. I need a sewing friend to tell/show me how to make a skirt for my daughter from my son's hand me down Levis. You know, the kind that have that little triangle of fabric where the legs have been unstitched? It looks fairly simple. I would love it if you could offer some tips.

Lisa said...

Are those really GLORIA VANDERBILTS?! You must be rich.

avalentine said...

this blog RULES! If you are looking for some part time work, come to Nashville and be my tailor! I've got a store full of clothes to fix!!

topher clark said...

Dear Sewing friend: another masterpiece! Those orange trousers can't be beat.

Lisa said...

Are you really a sewing FRIEND? Because a friend wouldn't let a request/plea for levi-fabric-skirts to go unanswered. A real friend would offer a step-by-step answer with cute photos to assist her friend. I'm just sayin'. . .

Gina said...

I AM your sewing friend. See explanation, not excuse, for my lack of answering!

Chantry said...

Gina...you crack me up. This has to be the best post in the history of posts. I linked you to my blog so all my sweet friends can have a sewing friend too.

Gina said...

I welcome all!