Saturday, May 12, 2007

We all have different kinds of friends. There's the one who gives great gifts. There's the one who has the best recipes. There's the friend who can find the greatest deals, or the one who is fun to shop with because she doesn't look at the prices. I have friends I run with, friends I eat with, friends I trade babysitting with, and friends I just like to listen to because they make sense.
I've discovered that I'm the "sewing friend." I've found myself mending simple things, making quilts and blankets, and sewing curtains and pillows for friends. I've taught some informal sewing classes to neighbors, but I mostly encourage friends to dust off their sewing machine and try something. I answer questions about sewing or fabric--and I love it.


I'd really like to start blogging on a consistent basis, but time evades me. So, keep checking and I'll get something going this summer 2007. I would like to share sewing projects, including simple gifts, home decor, and clothing.


But my real purpose here is to give you the confidence to try!! What's the worst that could happen? You throw something away and wasted a couple of hours, big deal! Next time you won't. (But a seam ripper is so great, and you can reuse your fabric in another project.)




You can, you can, you can--inspiration is all around us. Check out a couple of websites to whet your appetite for fabric and projecting.

Because seriously, you could make that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo G- I like it! You really are the sewing friend. Keep it up...I think you will enjoy it.

topher clark said...

Hi Gina. I'm not a big fan of sewing, but I'm a big fan of YOU. Happy blogging!

Bek said...

Tinah, your blanket is AMAZING!!! Seriously, welcome to blogging. I am SO happy to see you here...

I want to make a quilt. Will you help advise me on colors? It is for my Norah girl, I want bright Carribean colors... what do think?

You are the BEST sewing friend..

wendysue said...

Hey Gina! I love the colors and design of that quilt! I've sewn a couple of easy projects (mostly simple baby blankets and bibs), but would love to quilt. Did you take any classes or just go for it??

Jill said...

Gina,

You are my go to girl for sewing. But I must say, I LOVE the quilt you helped me make. My kiddos snuggle up in it almost everyday (we run the a/c a little high).

I'll try to sew again, but only if you agree to help me.

xoxo